Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Our Deepest Worship

Your deepest worship of the week generally can’t occur on Sunday morning if you attend a blended church.

That statement may sound strong, but I wish to back it up if I may.

For the purpose of this post, a blended church congregation would have people that like hymns (exclusively) and others that like modern praise choruses (exclusively) who can be irritated at having to experience too much of a differing style. Everyone has their preference.

In a blended church there has to be a compromise of stylistic preferences on Sunday morning because of the natural diversity of people who attend. This would naturally come at the expense of another’s preference.

So to come to church on Sunday morning and expect to be bless and be blessed more than other times of the week is folly. Worship on Sunday morning will always be at the lowest common denominator of the depth of people there.

In addition to worship style differences there is another reason that Sunday morning may not be the best time to worship. How many people do you know that are at their intellectual peak at 9:30 AM? I certainly am not. Especially after corralling four kids to get up, get dressed, get fed and get in the car.

So to expect deep spiritual connection then might be an exercise in futility. This isn’t to say that it cannot happen or that we should not expect it. Certainly, given time to settle we are better prepared to come into the presence of the Living God.

But my larger point here is that our best and most sincere worship might best be done outside of Sunday morning either privately or in a small intimate group when inhibitions are at a minimum.

Personally, I know that the most significant times of my worship to God occur in the basement in a sound-proof room. Many times, the worship is sparked by a song I hear by a group such as the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir or Fernando Ortega or St. John’s Episcopal Church in Denver.

I also can confess that my Sunday morning worship is lackluster at best. There are occasionally songs that help me contemplate or evoke praise, but most of the time I stand there irritated at the disorganized congregational singing due to unfamiliarity with the song or that they simply are not sure on which note to put the syllable.

To realize the unlikelihood of deep, significant worship on Sunday morning in a blended church is to realize the need for deep worship at other times of the week.

With this in mind- I am challenged to deepen my personal devotions and to think of it as daily “worship” instead. Maybe then, I can experience a more unrestrained and uninhibited worship to He who deserves the best of my praise.

Sunday morning has its purpose in unifying the body of Christ but it cannot replace deep uninhibited singular worship.

1 Comments:

Blogger Me! said...

AMEN! I agree with you...and from the other side of the Isle! But the truest of all your points is the last sentence. The "Meeting of the Saints" should not be foresaken.

The mormon/episcopalian/whateveralien choir would put me to sleep. Now, crank Pillar's "You Can't Bring Me Down" to an ear bleeding level in my car driving down a rural road, and I am (literally) in tears, in awe and totally connected to my God.

Sounds like folly to some...but the Word says we must "worship in spirit and in truth". Truth to me, is not organ/piano/hymnal music. To (attempt to) worship by these means would be false (for me). However, as you said, I think the bigger crime/sin would be to forsake the meeting of the saints.

Therefore, you "suck it up" go to church and unite with your brothers and sisters. I agree...truer worship is done in private.

(Disclaimer- The "Worship in Truth..." point is not original [I'm not that smart] it's a jewel I got from my old minister/mentor from Jackson Christian Church, whom I'm going to pass this link to).

K~

4:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home